2 cups sifted Gold Medal flour
1 teaspoon soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown sugar (packed in a cup)
1/2 cup high-grade shortening
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 to 3/4 cup unbeaten eggs (3 medium)
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2-ounces) melted
Sift together into bowl 2 cups sifted Gold Medal flour, 1 teaspoon soda, 3/4 teaspoon salt. Add 2 cups brown sugar (packed in a cup), 1/2 cup high-grade shortening, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat vigorously with a spoon for 2 minutes by the clock (about 150 strokes per minute). You may rest a moment when beating by hand; just count actual beating time or strokes. Or mix with electric mixer on medium speed (middle of the dial) for 2 minutes. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl constantly.
Add 2/3 to 3/4 cup unbeaten eggs (3 medium) and 2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2 ounces) melted. Continue beating 2 more minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Pour batter into prepared pan or pans.
Bake oblong cake 40 to 45 minutes; layers 30 to 35 minutes; in moderate oven (350-degrees). When cake is cool, frost with Brown Beauty Icing or Browned Butter Icing.
For success - do these first:
1. Have ingredients room temperature (70 to 75 degrees). In hot weather use buttermilk and eggs directly from the refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 350-degrees (moderate).
3. Grease generously and dust with flour 1 oblong pan, 13x9.5x2-inches, or 2 round layer pans, 9x1.5-inches.
4. Measure level for accuracy with standard measuring cups and spoons.
5. Sift Gold Medal "Kitchen-tested" Enriched Flour, then spoon lightly into cup and level off. Do not pack.