From the Kitchen Of
1/2 package piecrust mix
4 cups (2 pints) strawberries
1 cup sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup water
3 egg whites
1 1/2 cups cream for whipping
- Prepare piecrust mix, following label directions. Roll out to a 12-inch round on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; fold edge under, flush with rim; flute to make stand up the edge. Prick shell well all over with a fork.
- Bake in hot oven 425-degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden; cool completely in pie plate on a wire rack.
- Wash strawberries and hull. Slice enough to make 3 cups; set remainder aside for garnish.
- Combine sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a medium-sized bowl; let stand 5 minutes; mash well or press through a sieve into a large bowl.
- Soften gelatine in water in a small sauce-pan. Heat slowly until gelatin dissolves; cool slightly, then stir into strawberry mixture. Place bowl in a pan of ice and water to speed setting; chill, stirring several times, until as thick as unbeaten egg white.
- While gelatin mixture chills, beat egg whites until foamy-white in a medium-sized bowl; beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until meringue stands in firm peaks. Beat 1 cup of the cream until stiff in a second medium-sized bowl. Fold meringue, then whipped cream into strawberry mixture until no streaks of white remain. Pour into cooled pastry shell. Chill several hours until firm.
- Just before serving, beat remaining cream until stiff in a small bowl; spoon in the center of the pie. Garnish with remaining strawberries.
Add new comment
View additional recipes in this category