A McCall's recipe brought to you by Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
2 cups hot applesauce
1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease well and flour a 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Into a large bowl of an electric mixer, sift flour with Baking Soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Then add eggs, sugar, butter, and 1 cup applesauce; at low speed, beat until ingredients are combined.
3. At medium speed, beat 2 minutes longer, occasionally scraping side of the bowl and guiding mixture into a beater with rubber scaper.
4. Add remaining applesauce, dates, and walnuts; beat 1 minute. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Let cool on wire rack.
6. Frost with Cream-Cheese Frosting.
Attached to another index card is the recipe for the Cream-Cheese Frosting:
1 package (3-ounces) cream cheese, softend
1 tablespoon soft butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1. In a small bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. With mixer at low speed, beat until smooth and fluffy.
2. Gradually add sugar. Continue beating at medium speed, until fluffy.