1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
4 cups tart apples
1 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
Whipped cream for topping
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and half the walnuts; set aside.
- Pare and thinly slice the apples.
- Grease an 8-inch cake pan; place apples on the bottom of the pan, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Sift together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat egg with milk and melted butter; add all at once to dry ingredients.
- Mix until smooth; pour over apples and sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Bake at 350-degrees for 50 minutes.
- To serve, cut into wedges and top with whipped cream.
Make 6 to 8 servings.