A McCall’s recipe brought to you by Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
2 cups hot applesauce
1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease well and flour a 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Into a large bowl of an electric mixer, sift flour with Baking Soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Then add eggs, sugar, butter, and 1 cup applesauce; at low speed, beat until ingredients are combined.
3. At medium speed, beat 2 minutes longer, occasionally scraping side of the bowl and guiding mixture into a beater with rubber scaper.
4. Add remaining applesauce, dates, and walnuts; beat 1 minute. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Let cool on wire rack.
6. Frost with Cream-Cheese Frosting.