- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 2-oz squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Butter baking sheets; set aside. Set out a candy thermometer.
- Put milk or cream, sugar, corn syrup, and butter into a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring frequently over medium heat, bring mixture to boiling. Add chocolate, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted. Set candy thermometer in place. Cook until mixture reaches 232-degrees (soft ball stage – forms a soft ball in very cold water and flattens when taken from water; remove from heat while testing).
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and salt. Set aside to cool to 110-degrees or until just cool enough to hold on the palm of your hand. Do not stir.
- When cooled, beat vigourously until mixture begins to lose its gloss. Quickly drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets; do not scrape the bottom and sides.