1 package (12-ounces) semisweet chocolate pieces
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups firmly-packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Cream de Menthe Filling
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 to 1/3 cup green Creme de Menthe
2 tablespoons 10X (confectioners’) sugar
1. Grease three 9×1.5 inch round layer cake pans; line bottom with wax paper; grease paper.
2. Combine chocolate pieces and butter in a small saucepan. Place over very low heat just until melted; remove from heat.
3. Transfer chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Beat in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in flour until well blended. Pour into prepared pans, dividing evenly.
4. Bake in preheated moderate oven (375-degrees) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched with fingertips. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Invert; peel off paper; cool completely.
5. Stack and fill layers with Creme de Menthe Filling, using one-third between each layer and over the top. Garnish top with chocolate shavings, if you wish.
Cream de Menthe Filling: Whip 2 cups heavy cream, 1/4 to 1/3 cup green Creme de Menthe and 2 tablespoons 10X sugar until stiff.