A vintage typed recipe card for Merk's Coffeecake; make this classic coffeecake with shortening, sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, sour cream, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped nuts.Print Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening oleo
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pint commercial sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add eggs, beating singly after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and soda together.
- Add to creamed mixture, alternately with sour cream blending after each addition.
- Spread half of the batter in a 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and lined on the bottom with waxed paper.
- Cream butter, sugar, and cinnamon together.
- Add nuts – mix well. Dot batter in pan evenly with half of the nut mixture.
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Dot with remaining mixture.
- Bake at 350-degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Cool cake 10 minutes; remove from pan.