Pineapple Chiffon Cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 5 unbeaten egg yolks
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl; make a well in dry ingredients.
- Add salad oil, egg yolks, and pineapple juice in the order given.
- Beat until satin smooth.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat until they form very stiff peaks (stiffer than for meringue or angel cake).
- Fold egg yolk batter gradually into egg whites.
- Bake in 10-inch tube pan in a moderately slow oven (325-degrees) 55 minutes, then in moderate oven (350-degrees) 10 minutes.
- Frost cooled cake with Pineapple-Butter-Cream Icing.