Pissaladiere Provencale – Caramelized Onion Tart
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme leave or one teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf crumbled
- 2 pounds yellow onions about six large onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 large anchovy fillets half a two-ounce can
- 1 pound bread dough
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup pitted Greek or Italian black olives
- Add thyme and bay leaf to half the oil in a heavy skillet or saucepan. Cook briefly.
- Add onions and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. At no time should the onions brown; they should be kept as white as possible.
- Add water and cover pot. Cook over low heat one hour, adding more water if necessary to prevent scorching.
- Add anchovies and cook 10 minutes longer, uncovered. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Pour remaining oil over the surface and let stand in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Grease well a 12-inch or 14-inch round pizza pan or a large cooky sheet. Roll or stretch the bread dough to fit the pan, having a raised edge.
- Pour in onion mixture and dot with olives. Bake 30 minutes or until done. Serve cold