Syrian Nutmeg Cake
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups flour sifted
- 1/2 cup golden shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- With fingers, blend brown sugar, flour, and shortening into crumbs.
- Put half crumbs into a springform pan 7-inches in diameter and about 3-inches deep, or a 9-inch square pan.
- Be sure pan is well rubbed with shortening.
- To remaining crumbs, stir in egg, nutmeg, and the sour cream mixed with the soda.
- Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake at 325-degrees for 1 1/2 hours (springform pan).
- Bake square cake at 350-degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.