A vintage recipe from the 1962 edition of "Joys of Jello" for Ring Around the Tuna - "A beautiful jewel-like entre salad for your luncheon or buffet table". The congealed salad is made with Lemon or Lime Jell-O, drained and flaked tuna, chopped pimento, celery, onions, cucumber, vinegar, water and salt.
Share by Email
- 1 pkg 3-ounce Jell-O Lime or Lemon-Lime Gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced celery*
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento*
- 2 tablespoons sliced, stuffed olives
- 1 7-oz can tuna, drained and flaked
Dissolve Jell-O Gelatine and salt in boiling water.
Add cold water, vinegar, and onion.
Chill until very thick.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Pour into individual mold rings or a 1-quart mold ring.
Chill until firm.
Unmold on crisp salad greens.
If desired, serve with additional tuna and top salads with mayonnaise.
Make 3 2/3 cups or about 4 entree servings.
* Or reduce celery to 1/4 cup and substitute 1/2 cup chopped tomato for the pimiento.
This recipe is from page 65 of Joys of Jell-O cookbook from 1962.