A vintage clipped newspaper recipe for classic Cheese Straws; make these cheese straws with real butter, all-purpose flour, salt, cayenne, and Old English Sharp Cheese.Print Recipe
- 3 sticks real butter softened
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour reserve 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne – more or less depending on how hot you desire
- 1 pound grated Old English Sharp Cheese
- Mix all dry ingredient.
- Mix 1/2 cup flour with grated cheese.
- Mix all ingredients together – you may have to use hands to finish mixing.
- Place dough in cookie press with small star design.
- Press dough in long strips on Teflon cookie sheet 1/4 inch apart.
- Cut to desired lengths for containers.
- Bake 325-degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool slightly, remove from pan.
- Store or package for gifts.
- Can be frozen.