2/3 cup (about 4 ounces) semisweet chocolate pieces
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Line cookie sheets with unglazed paper. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until frothy. Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks are formed and egg whites do not slide when the bowl is partially inverted. Fold in the chocolate pieces and vanilla extract.
3. Drop by heaping spoonfuls about 2-inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
4. Bake at 300-degrees, 20 to 25 minutes
5. Remove from oven. Transfer cookies to cooling racks. Store in cool place in a tightly covered container.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
Follow recipe for Chocolate Kisses. Coarsely chop 2/3 cup pecans and fold into beaten egg whites with the chocolate pieces.