“A tangy change for a pot roast with gravy that’s a wonderful surprise!”
3-4 pound beef roast (blade or chuck)
1/2 cup Kroger flour
2 teaspoon Kroger salt
1/2 teaspoon Accent or MSG
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (1/2 pound) cranberries
1/4 cup Kroger shortening
3/4 cup water
12 whole cloves
2 tablespoons sugar
Dutch oven with a tight cover
- Coat the roast evenly with a mixture of flour, salt, MSG, and pepper.
- Heat shortening in a Dutch oven and brown meat slowly over medium heat (turning to brown all sides).
- Sort and wash cranberries and cook with 1/2 cup water in a saucepan for about 5 minutes (until skins just pop).
- Pour cranberry mixture on top of browned meat. Add cloves and 1/4 cup of water.
- Tightly cover and cook over low heat (or in a 325-degree oven) for three hours. Add more water while cooking if necessary.
- Remove meat when tender and strain remaining drippings, adding water to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and thicken as usual for gravy. Ummmmmm!