3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1 cup thick jam
- Sift the first seven dry ingredients.
- Cream shortening; add sugar gradually beat until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beat well each time.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk and jam; mix well.
- Fold in egg whites, beaten stiff but not dry.
- Bake ina greased loaf pan, lined with waxed paper in a very moderate oven (350 to 375-degrees).
- Cool cake completely. cover with Praline Icing made as follows:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup pecan nutmeats, chopped
- Boil the first three ingredients together to 238-degrees, or until a little syrup dropped in cold water forms a soft ball.
- Remove from heat; stir, do not beat, only until the surface takes on a crackling appearance and the mixture shows signs of sugar in the nutmeats.
- Pour at once on the cake to make a thin, crisp topping.