2 four-ounce packages of German sweet chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler over hot water, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar, two tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until the mixture is very thick. This takes at least five minutes at high speed on an electric mixer. It is the egg that thickens this mixture, not the flour.
4. Blend cooled chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nuts, and vanilla.
5. Drop from a teaspoon onto greased baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies feel set when lightly touched. Cool on racks and store in tightly covered containers.
Yield: About three dozen.