A typed vintage recipe featuring chicken, rice, cream of mushroom soup, onions, and topped with bread crumbs. These ingredients are baked in a well-greased baking dish.
This can be made the night before and put in the refrigerator or deep freeze and cooked the following day.
- 1 hen 4 1/2 – 5 lbs
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cans mushroom soup undiluted
- 1 tablespoon minced onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups dried bread crumbs rolled
- Cover hen with salt water and cook until tender.
- Let cool in broth, skim off fat and reserve.
- Remove meat from bones and cut in small pieces – mash skin with fork until in very small pieces.
- Cook rice in broth 20 minutes, add soup, onions, salt, and pepper.
- Combine with chicken and pour into well greased baking dish (10 x 15 x 2).
- Heat fat and saute crumbs – mix thoroughly and spread over chicken – rice mixture. Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 325.
- This may be made the night before and put in the refrigerator or deep freeze and cooked the following day.