1 cake, compressed or dry yeast*, broken into pieces
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup shortening
2 well-beaten eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups sifted Omega Flour
1. Put into a bowl, 1 cake compressed or dry yeast*, broken into pieces and 1/4 cup lukewarm water.
2. Let stand until dissolved.
3. Heat slowly to boiling 1 cup milk.
4. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup shortening.
5. Cool to lukewarm.
6. Add to mixture: 2 well-beaten eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
7. Stir in dissolved yeast.
8. Add gradually, mixing well after each addition, 5 cups sifted Omega Flour.
9. Turn onto floured board; knead until smooth.
10. Put into greased bowl. Cover with a cloth wrung out of hot water, let rise until doubled in bulk. Knead again to original size.
11. Cover and keep in refrigerator until ready to make rolls. Then pull off a teaspoonful of dough at a time, roll into a ball and put 3 in each of the desired number of greased 2-inch muffin tins. Let rise until doubled in bulk. Bake in a hot oven (400-degrees) 12 minutes, or until brown. Makes 3 dozen.
* A package of granulated yeast can replace the cake variety.
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Roll 1/3 of dough to fit a greased 9-inch pan. Spread top with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle with mixture of 1/3 cup sugar and 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Let rise until doubled in bulk. Bake as directed for rolls, but increase baking time to 15 minutes.
To use Omega Self-Rising Flour omit the salt.
These recipes are from Omega Flour Mill’s Baking is Easy, promotional cookbook, page 3.