1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup plus two tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
2 tart cooking apples
2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
3. Cream the shortening with three-fourths cup sugar and half the cinnamon until fluffy. Beat in the egg and add the flour mixture alternately with the milk.
4. Turn the batter into a well-oiled, lightly floured 9-by-9-x2-inch cake pan.
5. Peel, core and slice the apples one-quarter inch thick. Arrange the apples symmetrically over the batter, pressing the slices lightly into the dough. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples. Dot the cake with butter and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until cake is brown and apples are tender.
Yield: Nine servings.