Subgum Chow Mein
A vintage handwritten recipe for Subgum Chow Mein, made with chicken or turkey, oil, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, celery, Chinese cabbage, mushrooms, green pepper, green beans, scallions, garlic, sugar, chicken bouillon, cornstarch, soy sauce, salt, pepper, Chow Mein noodles, and toasted almonds.Print Recipe
- 3 cups cut-up chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced canned water chestnuts
- 1 1/2 cups canned bamboo shoots diced
- 3 cups celery diced
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage sliced
- 3/4 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 3/4 cup green beans sliced
- 9 scallions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups chicken bouillon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1 package Chow Mein Noodles
- 3/4 cup toasted almonds
- Fry vegetables, sugar, salt and pepper in oil for one minute, stirring briskly; add bouillon, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, and 4 tablespoons water.
- Add to mixture and cook until thickened.
- Add chicken and cook 5 minutes.
Print Recipe Share by Email Pin Recipe
Kitchen Helper 2