Dive into Comfort: Easy Oven-Baked Potatoes from 1982 Southern Living
Remember a time when simple, honest flavors dominated the kitchen? This Easy Oven-Baked Potatoes recipe, culled from September 1982’s Southern Living pages, is a nostalgic ode to comfort food, a symphony of potatoes and onions guaranteed to warm your heart (and your belly).
Imagine Layers of golden potato slices glistening with buttery goodness, nestled with layers of onions, the air filled with the aroma of crushed garlic and warm spices. Each bite is a journey into culinary comfort, the soft potatoes melting on your tongue as the caramelized onions add a delightful textural counterpoint.
More than just a recipe, it’s an experience:
- Nostalgia in every bite: This recipe is a throwback to a simpler time when families gathered around the table and food was made with love.
- Perfect for any occasion: A comforting side dish for a Sunday roast, a hearty lunch on its own, or a potluck crowd-pleaser, these potatoes are always a hit.
- Customizable fun: Add your twist with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, or a dollop of sour cream.
So grab your ingredients, preheat your oven, and prepare to bake a batch of Easy Oven-Baked Potatoes. It’s the perfect way to bring Southern comfort and culinary nostalgia to your table any time of year!
Bonus Tip: For an extra touch of authenticity, serve these potatoes with a side of homemade buttermilk biscuits and sweet tea.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s truly a taste of Southern hospitality and culinary comfort wrapped in one heartwarming dish.
Easy Oven Baked Potatoes
- 6 unpeeled potatoes, medium
- 6 onions, medium
- 1/2 cup oleo
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Cut potatoes and onions into 1/4-inch slices.
- Alternate slices, slightly overlapping in a single layer in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Combine next five ingredients, drizzle over potato and onion slices.
- Cover and bake at 400-degrees fro 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake uncovered for 20 additional minutes.