Dive into Sunshine: Southern Sweet Potato Cups from 1982
Step into a time capsule of Southern cooking with these Sunshine Sweet Potato Cups from the pages of 1982’s September issue of Southern Living. It’s a recipe with nostalgic sunshine on a plate and guaranteed to transport your taste buds straight to a porch swing swaying in the breeze.
Imagine Creamy mashed sweet potatoes, infused with the tangy whisper of crushed pineapple and the vibrant kiss of orange zest, nestled lovingly within the golden embrace of a hollowed-out orange rind. Each bite is a dance of sweet and citrusy, the smooth potato contrasting with the textured rind for a delightful play on textures.
Here’s why these cups are a taste of sunshine:
- Sweet potato dreams: Mashed to creamy perfection, sweet potatoes are the heart of this dish, their natural sweetness the canvas for the citrusy magic to come.
- Tropical twist: Crushed pineapple adds a tangy delight, reminding you of balmy days and juicy summer fruits.
- Zesty sunshine: Grated orange zest infuses the filling with a vibrant sunshine hue and whispers of citrus warmth.
- Upcycled orange rinds: Not only are they charming and festive, but the orange adds a subtle hint of citrus to the filling, creating a flavor fiesta in every bite.
- Toasted coconut bliss: A finishing touch of toasted flaked coconut adds a delightful crunch and a tropical aroma that takes you straight to a beachside hammock.
More than just a recipe, it’s an experience:
- Retro charm: This recipe is a throwback to a simpler time when Southern kitchens were filled with love and creativity.
- Perfect for any occasion: These cups are delightful as a dessert, a brunch treat, or even a unique appetizer.
- Customizable fun: Add your twist with chopped nuts, a drizzle of honey, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
So grab your ingredients, preheat your oven, and prepare to bake a batch of Sunshine Sweet Potato Cups. It’s the perfect way to bring a taste of Southern summer to your table, any time of year!
Bonus Tip: For an extra Southern touch, serve these cups alongside a glass of sweet iced tea.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s a taste of sunshine and Southern hospitality, wrapped in one delicious bite.
Sunshine Sweet Potato Cups
- 8 large oranges
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cups softened oleo
- 1 can crushed pineapple 8-ounce can
- 2 tsp grated onion rind
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Cut 3/4-inch slice off the top of the oranges; remove pulp - set aside.
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool to touch; peel and mash.
- Combine mashed potatoes, oleo, pineapple, orange rind, and salt - mix well.
- Spoon mixture into orange cups.
- Bake 325-degrees for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with coconut.