This handwritten vintage recipe for a classic Asparagus Casserole comes from the Shreveport Collection and is attributed to Clifford Lee. This traditional recipe is made with soft buttered bread crumbs, butter, evaporated milk, hard-cooked eggs, grated cheese, cream of mushroom soup, pimiento, salt, pepper, and asparagus. This classic recipe will soon be a family favorite.
- 2 Cups Soft bread crumbs, buttered
- 2 Tbl Butter
- 1 Can evaporated milk
- 6 Eggs Hard-Cooked, chopped
- 1 Cup Cheese, grated
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Pimiento, chopped
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 #2 Can Asparagus, Keep Liquid A #2 can is 2.5 cups or 20 ounces
- Make a sauce of butter, milk, and mushroom soup.
- Blend in cheese and pimiento, add a little asparagus liquid.
- Cover bottom of a casserole with bread crumbs.
- On this (bread crumbs), layer asparagus and eggs.
- Cover with sauce then top with remaining crumbs.
- To avoid dryness, pour a little asparagus liquid down sides of dish.
- Heat uncovered until contents bubbles and top toasts slightly.