Devil’s food cupcakes are a classic American dessert that will please any chocolate lover. They are made with a rich, dark chocolate cake batter and are typically frosted with a creamy chocolate frosting. These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to parties to a simple treat.
Looking for a Chocolate Frosting recipe – check out one of these –
Tips for making devil’s food cupcakes
Here are a few tips for making devil’s food cupcakes:
- Use a high-quality cocoa powder. This will give the cupcakes a richer, darker chocolate flavor.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. This will help to ensure that the cupcakes are light and fluffy.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy. This will help to incorporate air into the batter, which will make the cupcakes rise.
- Do not overmix the batter. Overmixing can make the cupcakes tough.
- Bake the cupcakes until they are just springy to the touch. Overbaking can make the cupcakes dry.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them. This will help to prevent the frosting from melting.
Devil’s food cupcakes are best served at room temperature. They can be garnished with chocolate sprinkles, chocolate chips, or fresh fruit.
Devil’s food cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for two days. They can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Devil's Food Cupcake
- 1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dry cocoa
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla
- Combine first five ingredients. Add shortening and 3/4 cup of the milk. Beat well.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to beat. Fill paper lined cups half-full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.